Match ReportSat 05 Oct

Rugby Lions maintained their excellent away form with a well deserved victory at Peterborough. Lions welcomed back Chris Wood and Guy Field from injury and started the game strongly. A trademark try from Callum Forsyth, spotting the gap from the base of a ruck, opened the scoring and the try was converted from in front by Phil Reed in the absence of Kris McFedries.

The home side responded and a well worked back’s move resulted in a try in the right corner. The conversion was missed leaving Rugby with a slender two point lead. This was soon increased following a series of strong drives from the forwards. A number of penalties were conceded by the home side in trying to keep out the Lions, and the pressure eventually told when the pack drove over from a lineout. Ben Nuttall emerged with the ball to claim the try.

The home side were defending desperately, and eventually the referee’s patience ran out and a yellow card was shown to their scrum half for a blatant offside. Lions opted for the lineout and again the drive was unstoppable with Martin Wood the try scorer. The conversion was missed but Lions had a twelve point lead. Peterborough responded strongly and forced the Lions to defend desperately. They looked to have scored in the left corner, but the referee deemed the ball to be held up and the half time whistle eased Lion’s concerns

Lions increased their lead with a penalty by Phil Reed for offside early in the second period. Peterborough began to apply some pressure but were let down by indiscipline and poor handling. They did however manage to score a try following a harsh yellow card shown to Chris Wood. A scrum to the home side five metres out led to their fly half strolling over untouched on the blind side. The conversion was successful to make the score 12-20.

A great run by Mike Howe down the middle of the pitch set up the position for the forwards to make their mark. Another string of penalties were conceded in attempting to keep the visitors out but Ben Nuttall was again on hand to bludgeon his way over the try line following a lineout, and another try bonus point was in the bag.  Phil Reed was successful with the conversion to extend Lion’s lead to fifteen points.

Frustration was setting in for the home side and a brawl led to Martin Wood and the home number five being shown a yellow card. Peterborough were awarded the penalty and following the resulting lineout managed to score by placing the ball on the base of the goal post. The conversion was made to leave the home side eight points adrift. With time running out, Louis Smith made a scintillating break down the left touch line from his own 22. He skinned his opposite number and chipped ahead. He won the race to ball and looked to have got downward pressure, but the referee awarded a 22 dropout.

Lions managed to repel some late pressure from the home side to see out the game and deny them a losing bonus point. Another good away performance by the Lions and hopefully they can begin to repeat these victories at Webb Ellis Road.



View All Results

Change The Background

Dark Grey
Red & Black
Grey & Black
White & Black