Match ReportSat 11 Jan

The away fixture against Oundle saw the Lions travel to a distant and very windy Thorney RFC, who hosted the game after a very late change of venue due to waterlogged pitches at Oundle’s Occupation Road ground.

After a very close and hard fought game earlier in the season, talk in the build up was of how organised and patient the opposition where and efficient in capitalising on any mistakes made, and how we could be more clinical in finishing our own opportunities.

And so it proved, Lions started very well from the kick off with strong tackling forcing Oundle into touch and the ensuing line out driven to great effect, a common theme throughout the game resulting in penalties and good field position with some strong runs from Andrew Morrison and Martin Wood, but the chances provided not taken with dropped balls or penalties a common occurrence relieving the pressure on Oundle.

Then came the pressure from Oundle and a fantastic defensive set from the Lions, with massive hits from Nick Walton stopping them dead and numerous other good tackles across the field, something that has been a positive aspect in recent weeks. But alas true to form Oundle kept to their game plan well and created the overlap after many phases of play to score the first try and to add to an earlier penalty for 8-0.

This was followed by a very tricky period for the Lions who ended up on the wrong side of the increasingly frustrating decisions given by the referee, resulting in two yellow cards close together for Phil Reed dissent and Nick Walton for a no arm tackle, which eventually resulted in  a further try and conversion for Oundle to take the score to 15-0.

Throughout the first half the Lions pack was very much on top at scrum time , and the line out functioning well in tricky conditions with Josh Lockley competing well, stealing numerous opposition throws. With the half time talk of composure with ball in hand and more of the same from the pack to edge our way back into the game.

However the second half became even more stop start and frustrating than the first half with mistakes and the whistle halting proceedings. Oundle now seemed to have more of the ball and territory and applied pressure to the Lions defensive line, which stood firm for a long period with Louis Addleton putting in three big tackles in a very short time and turning the ball over. But Oundle kept the pressure up and the last quarter of the game saw them dominate through their back line and for Oundle’s speedy winger to score a hat trick and complete a strong well organised performance, everything that had been spoken about beforehand for a 34-0 win.

This week sees Peterborough visit Webb Ellis Road for a 2.15pm kick off.  

View All Results

Change The Background

Dark Grey
Red & Black
Grey & Black
White & Black