Match ReportSat 18 Jan

Following last Saturday’s defeat against Oundle, Rugby Lions welcomed Peterborough to Webb Ellis Road. The opening exchanges were fairly even, but poor ball retention and a few basic errors allowed the visitors to score two well-worked tries both scored by their impressive full back. One of these was converted by their versatile second row, who took all the kicks and threw the ball in at the line-outs! Eighteen minutes gone and things were looking rather ominous for the home side. It could have been a lot worse if the ball hadn’t been dropped on the try line by their other second row in the act of scoring.

Lions began to apply some pressure and a number of phases led to Josh Lockley crossing the try line, but the ball was deemed to be held up. The ball was duly won at the resulting scrum, and Kris McFedries threw a long pass out to Daniel Parrington on the right wing. Despite having two defenders in front of him, he jinked his way over the line in typical fashion. For the remainder of the half, Peterborough were pinned in their own twenty two, but Lions were unable to add to their score.

Half time score:- Rugby 5 Peterborough 12.

A strong run by McFedries reached the visitor’s twenty two, and with the defenders struggling to get back into position, Joe Higgins spotted the space and swung a long pass out to Phil Reed. He drew the last defender before feeding Josh Czerpak on the left wing for an easy run in. The conversion from the touch line was missed, but Lions were back in contention at just two points behind.

Peterborough were still looking very threatening with ball in hand, and were testing Lion’s defence to the limit. Lion’s ball retention was much improved in the second half, and a series of strong drives got to within five metres of the visitor’s try line. Nick Walton charged forward, twisted and dived for the line, but a defender’s leg got in the way and the ball was lost forward. Lions continued to pressure the visitors and were rewarded when Peterborough were penalised for killing the ball in front of their posts. McFedries slotted the penalty to put the home side in front for the first time.

Peterborough responded with some powerful runs, but Lion’s tackling was strong. An interception by Theo Knight on Lion’s twenty two put him on a clear run for the line, but he was deemed offside, and the visitors had the chance to regain the lead. Somewhat surprisingly the ball drifted wide of the uprights.

Lions had the last say following good interplay after Ben Nuttall had stripped the ball on his own twenty two. Mishka Huczmann switched the ball inside to Parrington who streaked for the line in typical fashion and was only halted by a high tackle six metres from the line. McFedries made no mistake with the kick to put Lions six points ahead with seven minutes left on the clock.

Lions withstood the inevitable onslaught by the visitors to hold on for an important victory. A very competitive and entertaining contest that could have gone either way. The fact that Lions did not concede a point after eighteen minutes of the match says much about their defence.


Next Saturday Lions first fifteen have no game, but the Crusaders are due to take on Berkswell & Balsall at Webb Ellis Road for a 2:15pm start.


Final score: -   Rugby Lions 16  Peterborough 12

View All Results

Change The Background

Dark Grey
Red & Black
Grey & Black
White & Black