Match ReportSat 14 Mar

Rugby Lions latest league encounter involved a trip to bottom club Wellingborough, who are in the process of rebuilding their squad and they fielded a very young looking side. Lion’s team had a rather makeshift look to it with a number of players unavailable.

Straight from the kick-off, the home side were under pressure and a rolling maul following a line-out was unstoppable with Ben Nuttall crossing the line for an unconverted try. Lion’s pack were dominant at this stage and another catch and drive resulted in Ed Herring claiming the try.

A loose Lion’s pass was intercepted five metres from the try line, but Ben Nuttall stripped the ball from him and dived over for his second try, this time converted by Kris McFedries. Wellingborough finally had a spell of possession and moved the ball well although without looking too threatening. Lions soon had the catch and drive back in action and Herring was halted just short of the line. Nuttall picked up and crashed over from two metres to claim his hat-trick and bag the try bonus point for the visitors.

Wellingborough responded well, and a number of phases resulted in a converted try of their own to reduce the deficit. Normal service was soon resumed however, when Ben Nuttall, aided by Chris Wood, drove through three defenders for his fourth try, converted by McFedries to make the half time score 7-31.

Straight from the restart of the second half came the pick of Lion’s tries when Andy Morrison’s inside pass found fellow centre Martin Wood. He made twenty metres before drawing the final defender and returning the ball for Morrison to streak through unopposed.

Lovely interplay by McFedries and Morrison put wing Louis Smith clear down the left, and he looked to have just dotted the ball down before crossing the touchline although the touch judge disagreed, and a throw-in was the decision. Andy Morrison’s strong run down the right touchline resulted in his second try of the half and further extend Lion’s lead to 7-41.

Right wing Mike Howe collected a lovely chip by McFedries to dive over in the corner, but a foot in touch again ruled out the score. Ben Nuttall received the ball in the centre position and ran through six defenders before being halted ten metres short. Another couple of phases later he picked up from the base of a ruck and this time he was not to be denied for his fifth try of the game.

Dave Addleton came off the bench to replace Paul Fowkes and partner his son in the pack. Another deft chip by McFedries to the right touchline was claimed by Mike Howe who expertly flipped the ball up to the supporting Ed Herring for the final try, converted by McFedries.

A good performance by the Lions, and credit also to Wellingborough who showed great spirit and never let their heads go down.


 Next Saturday (virus permitting) Lions travel the short distance to Lutterworth for a 3pm kick off.


Final score :-  Wellingborough 7 Rugby Lions 53


View All Results

Change The Background

Dark Grey
Red & Black
Grey & Black
White & Black